Greetings!

We designed this site in order to keep in touch with friends and family who are far away and in order to communicate with other adoptive families from around the world.

When we first started researching this wonderful way to become a family we read everything we could get our hands on. Even though there are a lot of great books out there, nothing was as informative or touching as the blogs we found by adoptees, biological parents, and adoptive families. So we are writing this blog now in hopes of returning the favor. We hope that if you are dear to us you will enjoy keeping up with our adventures. If you are someone out there involved in a part of the adoption triad we hope you will find information and comfort here and provide us with some of your own!

If you would like to get in touch with us we can be reached at: becomingafamily@gmail.com
Feel free to stop by anytime. We're happy to share our family story.

Take care,
Brian and Rosemary

Monday, February 15, 2010

World Elephant Polo Association

Most of the time I am gloriously happy with my life. I have Brian and Button and a content spirit so the whole thing works out pretty well but I have to admit to you, dear internet strangers, that occasionally I happen across something that just makes me itch for a different set of circumstances.


Allow me to introduce you to the ladies of the World Elephant Polo Association. I am not making this nonsense up! These adventurous women (and men) travel to exotic countries, don spiffing uniforms, climb onto the backs of elephants and play polo (on very big fields). Yes, the whole thing does reek of colonialism and while I normally would eschew any club of such an obviously "exclusive" mentality let us remind ourselves that since this is my FANTASY sport we don't need to worry about any of that. My whole life, I've been looking for an activity that would allow me to dress fabulously, keep a pachyderm as a pet, and exercise as little as possible - I absolutely cannot believe I've finally found it. The girls of WEPA actually practice for their matches by riding on top of slow moving Jeep's and hitting soccer balls with their giant mallet-thingies. Doesn't that sound hilarious? This is the sport for me!!



This is a youtube compilation video of some of the highlights from Thailand's King's Cup elephant polo Tournament in HuaHin. Very Interesting!


Now all I have to do is get freakin' super rich, buy an elephant (best part of all), hire a trainer, fly all over Asia for "the season" and get in with the classy WEPA crowd. I'm sure they would just love to have me. Who else is up for it? As long as we can get 6 ladies we can form our own team!

--Rosemary

6 comments:

Jessica said...

How on earth have I never heard of this sport before? I'm IN. I always knew I had an inner athlete.

Robin and Kyle said...

As long as I don't have to clean up after the elephant, I am IN!

Kerrie (and Jason) said...

And you know what looks even better about it? You don't even have to know how to be a mahout - they appear to have a 'driver' already! :)

Maci Miller said...

HIlarious! As long as I have an excuse to buy a fancy new outfit for the occasion I'm in! (I once joined the ski club just so I could buy one of those cute snow bunny outfits!) Yes. I really did. The excitement for actually skiing (and being cold) didn't last too long. Maybe the view from the elephants will keep me motivated.:-)

Unknown said...

totally in.....love, love elephants. I will make sure to feed mine extra treats so it doesn't get mad and stomp on my head.....so do they travel around the world with the same elephants? If so, how much you think it costs to fly an elephant?

Mireille said...

LOL, only in the land of smiles!!