Greetings!

We designed this site in order to keep in touch with friends and family who are far away and in order to communicate with other adoptive families from around the world.

When we first started researching this wonderful way to become a family we read everything we could get our hands on. Even though there are a lot of great books out there, nothing was as informative or touching as the blogs we found by adoptees, biological parents, and adoptive families. So we are writing this blog now in hopes of returning the favor. We hope that if you are dear to us you will enjoy keeping up with our adventures. If you are someone out there involved in a part of the adoption triad we hope you will find information and comfort here and provide us with some of your own!

If you would like to get in touch with us we can be reached at: becomingafamily@gmail.com
Feel free to stop by anytime. We're happy to share our family story.

Take care,
Brian and Rosemary

Monday, October 12, 2009

Worry-ville

I am feeling sooooooo down today. The paperwork has got my nerves completely frazzled. We had to redo our homestudy in July when we moved from NYC to Virginia. Because of the new homestudy we had to file an I-171H form. First we sent the form to the NY state office because that is where we filed and all the forms said to do it that way. Then New york told us they had received the form but we needed to re-file with Washington D.C. So we did that. They told us it would just take a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks we contacted them via email pleasantly asking where the heck our I-171H form was. They said we would have it in the mail in 1-2 weeks. That was 17 days ago. We emailed them again last night in hopes that they will respond today.

The worst part about all of this though is that we can't file the I-600 petition for Button until we get this @#&*!* form back and I am loosing my mind. For all of you who are not waiting parents also going through this crazy process, we CANNOT travel to pick our son up until our I-600 form has been processed by the U.S. government so we needed to start it yesterday already and it is horribly frustrating that we are unable to do so.




Yea, I am really worried right now and I feel angry too. I don't know who I am angry at because it's obviously not anyone in particular's fault. It's just a sad sort of nebulous anger that comes and goes like Eeyore's little black rain cloud. I am trying to be calm, say my affirmations, pray and stay positive but I want my son to come home.

Would you mind taking a second to send up a prayer or a happy thought for Button's homecoming? His Mommy would appreciate it more than you can know.

--Rosemary

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohh, paperwork worries. I'm sorry! Prayers for you and Button and speedy government workers(although I wouldn't expect to hear from them today, it's Columbus Day.)

Kerrie (and Jason) said...

Thinking of you and feeling the frustration of not being able to speed things up...

blackbelt said...

(((HUGS))) Good job sweet heart - you are doing everything you can for your son! See if you can get the name of an actually worker in the office. Are you on a BB? ask if anyone has a name. I got a name for the INS in Philly and that made a big difference. Especially when the INS LOST ORIGINAL KOREAN DOCUMENTS for Boo. :-(

Annie said...

Waiting for a referral is one thing, but having received your referral and knowing who Button is and that you NEED to go get him, I imagine that is agony! I'm praying for the paperwork to MOVE so you can go get that little guy.

Chris and Terri said...

It's ok! I was freaking out about my I-600 a couple weeks ago and Melissa May posted a very detailed comment to my similar question. The short of it is - you don't have to get I-600 approval before you get travel approval. Actually, some families file their I-600 in Bangkok. She said the worst thing that could happen is you don't get it before you travel and you have to re-file it in over there and withdraw your original application over here. And "other there" it only takes a day but it's more time in meetings with a toddler and such so better you just get it over here.

Here's the link to Melissa's comment -

http://3mtrain.blogspot.com/2009/09/package-2-forms-and-baby.html

Megan said...

Been there done that and praying for you. It is so difficult to understand and when there is no 1 particular person/agency/etc to "blame" it seems all the much more difficult. Hugs~

Yoli said...

No words, we have been there, are there now and it is just something you have to ride. It is one of the hardest times. You have a child half way around the world waiting for you and red tape in the middle.

Mireille said...

I feel so much for you and wished I could ease the pain, frustration for you. But there isn't much I can do to help... I haven't been exactly on the same track as you, although different frustrations that made my wait so much longer (like typos and redoing new documents while hubby was living in the USA and I in Thailand and he had to fly back (28 hours) just because they made a typo in his name... things like that happen and it frustrates the heck out of you, but just try to endure, stay positive and the day will come that you hold Button in your arms. I promise!!

Ann and Bryan said...

You're in our prayers!

Matt and Tiffany McClain said...

We will definitely say a prayer for a homecoming for Button to happen very soon! I can't imagine your frustrations. We are going through some paperwork issues ourselves with services for Grace's care and now with some things with Reese but I know it's not the same. It's just frustrating when you have no control over the small details. But thank God He has cares about all details and that he is has brought ya'll into Button's life. So excited for you guys! Must get together soon! Love you!

Maci Miller said...

Oh, Rosemary, I'm so sorry for all the paperwork problems! Miss talking to you and am gonna try to call you this week so we can catch up. Hang in there. I remember feeling so panicked when we had to re-do our homestudy. It felt like we'd never get it all done and back in time. Then the Bkk office said they never even received the update and the National Visa Center had no idea why. Took me 2 weeks of nagging both offices until it was found and okay. So I know how you feel but BELIEVE ME, it's all gonna work out. Keep on doing all the positive stuff you are doing and hang on. Soon you will have Button in your arms and you'll forget all about this stress. I promise! Prayers and hugs coming your way from us!
Love,
Jen, Jeff, & Ruby