We designed this site in order to keep in touch with friends and family who are far away and in order to communicate with other adoptive families from around the world.

When we first started researching this wonderful way to become a family we read everything we could get our hands on. Even though there are a lot of great books out there, nothing was as informative or touching as the blogs we found by adoptees, biological parents, and adoptive families. So we are writing this blog now in hopes of returning the favor. We hope that if you are dear to us you will enjoy keeping up with our adventures. If you are someone out there involved in a part of the adoption triad we hope you will find information and comfort here and provide us with some of your own!

If you would like to get in touch with us we can be reached at:
Feel free to stop by anytime. We're happy to share our family story.

Take care,
Brian and Rosemary

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Still here

We have not dropped off the face of the earth. I just had to take a little leave of absence from blogging with everything we've had going on in the past month. My health hit a few tiny stumbling blocks so Button and I made a trip out to Tulsa to stay with my folks for a little while and that kept a us quite busy in a wonderful way. Then we finally made the decision to move to Oregon in July for Brian's work so as you can imagine that has thrown our whole household into chaos!! Plus, I have been busy with my own work and then Button himself keeps us running, running, RUNNING.

I did want to share briefly with everyone in blogland that Button and Mamma continue to bond more and more everyday. The pattern we see is "2 steps forward, 1 step back". If we have several days of hugs and kisses and very few tantrums then it will surely be followed by a big, bad, horrible day of endless fits and hitting. However, the overall picture is one of progress and bonding. We are very proud of him and hopeful for the future.

I also wanted to mention our trip to Tulsa because I know a lot of people wonder about the "when and how" of traveling with their newly adopted children. We made this trip after Button had been home for 3 months. We went to Tulsa without Brian because he couldn't come and we needed to go. There were not any other options - it was as simple as that. If we could have avoided breaking up our little family unit for 8 days I would have. I was with Button every second and he adores his grandparents. However, he cried frequently for Daddy (and the cat) and he slept poorly at night and nap-time. He also FREAKED OUT on the plane and the less said about that the better. I am pretty sure he remembered air-travel, much to my dismay.

The things that seemed to help the most during the trip were keeping his routine and food as much the same as possible, taking his security objects, and skyping with Daddy once or twice a day. Now that we are home though he is doing great with the exception that he calls constantly for his "GAI GAI, BOPA" (my parents) and seems very frustrated that we don't all just get with the program and move into the same house.



Maci Miller said...

I was beginning to wonder what happened to you! :-) Glad to hear you are doing well and making progress. Sorry to hear about your health. Hope you are okay and feeling much better. Good that your parents could be there to help! God bless grandparents!

Jessica said...

Wow. So much change in such a short time for you all. I echo Jen, Im sorry to hear about health issues and I hope that all is better. Soon you and Button will be traveling champs!

Chris and Terri said...

Oh you poor thing with the sickness and the unhappy flyer. I'm dreading the next flight - our only trip away was a road trip - not that I'm not ready and needing some sand in my life but the kids just got out of school so hopefully, soon.

All the best as you move coast to coast.

Dori said...

Welcome back! I'm SO glad to see you back on your blog--I missed stopping by and checking in on what your family has been up to. (My hubby and I will be adopting from China in a couple of years here, so I love reading the experiences of other adoptive families . . . I've been reading your blog for several months now. THANK YOU so much for sharing!)

Sorry to hear that you've had some health issues--that sounds really rough, especially since you have plenty going on already. It seems to me that you and your hubs are doing a really amazing job at getting through all the ups and downs of new parenthood, though. Keep up the good work! You are inspiring to me.

Annie said...

I'm glad to hear that bonding is still progressing, and I can see how the 2 steps forward, 1 step back, would make sense. Sorry to hear that you were not feeling well. I imagine the plane flight reminded button of that stressful, unknowing first plane flight home.
Thanks for the updates, I will be checking in!

Jason Yutzie said...

Glad to see you back on the blog. We are excited to get to meet the whole family when you are settled in Oregon. I can't wait to get the boys together. We will need to exchange contact information once you arrive.
Button's progress still mirrors that of Braxton. Somewhat comfoting to know they are somewhat "normal" with their progress.

Mireille said...

Glad you are back and feeling healthier!! It has to come out of the system and I guess it was your time for feeling a bit under the weather. How children want everybody at their finger tips is funny. My girls would LOVE the same. Glad grandpa is visiting us tomorrow here in Thailand! The girls are beyond happy!

blackbelt said...

I am sure it's all very difficult but it all sound GOOD!!! I think kids can sort of "forget" about their fears and start bonding, and then it gets too loving and get scared and then have a tantrum because that's all they know how to do!

It all sounds GOOD!!!